Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Orange

No other word in the English language rhymes with orange. My six year old son reminds me of this on a daily basis. He is fascinated by this and continues to to try to come up with a word that will rhyme with orange. So most of the time on long car trips he will rattle off fictitious words twisting them and contorting them until they sound like orange. "Morange." "Forange." "Lorange." After each attempt I will tell him the same thing, "not a real word-it must be a real word." He goes back to thinking; his mind clicking and whirring trying to comprehend why there would be such an anomaly in the world.
How do I tell him the world is full of unsettling things? Things that won't make sense, won't compute, won't hold up to his standards, morals, or principles? How do I explain that to myself? Orange- the word conjures up frustration, a mystery, a puzzle, and a long list of future difficult discussions I will have with my son.

1 comment:

  1. That's too funny that that bothers him so much.... oh the mind of a little genius. On a similar note, I have a sweater that isn't quite orange, isn't quite peach and we call it my "porange" sweater! Love you!

    ReplyDelete